Home Tap to Call Now Visit Blog

This Danger is Silent

What Carbon Monoxide Can Do to You

It’s that time of the year again when we start to set up our Christmas trees, decorate our homes, take out the logs we’ve stored, and heat up the fireplace or the gas stove —a special time of the year where you spend most of your nights in the comfort of your home singing those good old holiday cheers.  With all this excitement in the air, we have to make sure that everything will go smoothly. The fireplace and other heating systems can give us pleasure, but it can also pose certain threats to our health and our lives in general. We must make sure we know everything there is to know, to prevent placing our families in danger. One thing to look out for is carbon monoxide.

annual chimney and fireplace inspections in carytown va

You cannot see it, taste it or smell it. The only way to know if there is a leak, is to make sure you have a functional CO detector.

Almost every home in the United States has a fireplace and chimney. To light the fire and keep you warm, you can from the good old-fashioned firewood to what people usually use today which is natural gas and oil. Manufacturers have offered a variety of complex, high-technology heating systems to choose from. There are vented and vent-free gas stoves, adjustable heat and air control systems and a multipurpose fireplace. But these heating systems emit a harmful gas called carbon monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide & Its Dangers

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas formed from incomplete combustion of organic substances just like the wood that is burnt in your fireplace. It is deadly and fatal in large concentrations.

Some health professionals misdiagnose it as the common flu because it has similar symptoms. A person affected with carbon monoxide may feel nauseated, fatigued, dizzy and experience subsequent vomiting. This can, in an instant, and if not properly diagnosed and treated, claim your life and the lives of the people you love.

During the holidays, most homes are airtight: doors are tightly closed, windows are sealed and all other areas where air can enter from outside are shut. This allows the heating system to heat the place as efficiently as possible. Although it is necessary to do this, it is not always a good thing. Closed doors can mean two things. What’s out can’t come in and what’s in can’t come out. If there is carbon monoxide rapidly accumulating because no amount of fresh air is coming in and more and more by-products from open combustion pollutes air inside, it creates a huge problem.

Preventive Measures

To stop carbon monoxide from accumulating, it is highly recommended for homeowners to have their fireplace and chimney inspected annually to gauge the its performance and it’s safety. The licensed professionals of Chimney Saver Solutions can help you maintain on your fireplace and chimney as well as keep an eye on the dangers that might arise from it. They can sweep, fix, and clean the necessary areas for your utmost safety and protection. After over twenty-five years of service, they have managed to keep their image in high standing. Their workforce is always ready and willing to start fixing your chimney problems.


Call Now Button