Should I Turn Your Pilot Light Off During Summer?
It’s a question that is asked time and time again. Do you or do you not leave on your pilot light during the summer? Does it cost a lot to leave it on? Should I be burning that fuel when it is so warm outside? How do I light the pilot light once it’s off? Let’s discuss the pros and cons of leaving your gas fireplace pilot on or off.
Leaving Your Gas Pilot On:
- When leaving the pilot on for an extended period, a white film can collect on your glass. If you do see this white film, be sure to clean it off. If not you may see that it actually will etch itself into your glass.
- Easy access to a fire. By leaving your gas pilot on, you can enjoy a quick turn-on when you have a cool summer night.
- Spiders tend to find a home in the tubes of your gas lines. By keeping the pilot lit, it distracts from any intruders.
Leaving Your Gas Pilot Off:
- You won’t have to worry if the extra gas being burned by the pilot is causing you extra money.
- The heat from the pilot light can create warmth on the glass and will be hot to the touch. By keeping the pilot off you won’t have to worry about this, especially if you have small children around.
- As mentioned above, you may find that spiders have housed themselves in the lines. If this happens you can call Chimney Saver Solutions to clear them out.
As the summer approaches, it’s a good time to give your pilot light a rest. It most likely has been on for an extended period of time during the fall, winter, and early spring. Turning off your pilot light on your gas fireplace and your furnace will save you gas and money. Although it’s a small amount of gas that is burned, every penny counts as we experience high gas prices.
Your air conditioner also won’t have to work as hard to keep the temperature down.
Our Chimney sweeps are CSIA-certified and trained.
When you need assistance with your fireplace, Chimney Saver Solutions is the place to call. We will make sure your fireplace is running efficiently. We have been in business for over 20 years servicing the Richmond, Virginia area. We pride ourselves in running a personal service with professional ethics. This has afforded us the success we enjoy today.
We are here for all your fireplace and chimney needs. We are equipped to deal with any chimney-related issues. We have enjoyed the opportunity to serve our local community. and ensure the safety of our friends and neighbors. We hope you will give us a chance to prove to you why we are the best choice for all your chimney and fireplace related needs. Call us at 804-440-5000 to set up your appointment.