Which is Better Between a Gas & Wood Fireplace?
A terrific way to cut energy costs is with the installation of a new wood-burning or gas fireplace. It’s good to first carefully consider which is better between a gas vs wood fireplace. The best decision for you might be based on your lifestyle, your personal preferences, or something like the accessibility of a convenient gas line. Be sure to contact Chimney Saver Solutions if you live in or around Richmond VA. We have friendly professionals who can help you decide on the fuel type, determine the perfect size of your new unit, and more.
Benefits of a Wood Fireplace & Potential Downsides
You can hardly go wrong no matter which fireplace installation you choose, whether it burns wood or gas. Today’s EPA-approved fireplaces are efficient and can be depended upon to help cut energy costs in winter. Professional fireplace installation is always crucial to ensure optimal operation and meet insurance coverage requirements.
Wood-Burning Fireplace Pros
Getting down to determining which is better between a gas vs wood fireplace, the following are among the benefits of a wood fireplace:
- The ambiance created by wood fires is unbeatable, between the crackling sounds, the woodsy scent, and the pleasure derived from watching the flames.
- Wood is the least expensive type of fuel. If you have the advantage of your own trees to use for wintertime warmth, the only cost may be the sweat equity.
- Wood fires provide opportunities for real camping vibes, like roasting marshmallows to make s’mores.
Wood Fireplace Cons
The possible downsides of a wood fireplace include the following:
- Proper storage is required for firewood.
- Wood must go through a drying-out process, which takes 6 to 12 months.
- Getting wood fires going takes planning and effort.
- It is necessary to carefully monitor wood fires.
- Safely leaving your home is not possible as long as an unattended fire is still burning.
Pros and Cons of a Gas Fireplace
Although wood fireplaces tend to stay in the lead as far as a gas vs wood fireplace, gas fireplaces are in great demand and have been growing in popularity year after year.
Gas Fireplace Pros
The following are among the advantages of a gas fireplace:
- The heat provided by gas fireplaces is consistent and provides toasty heat throughout the coldest of winter nights.
- The convenience of gas fireplaces is unsurpassed as you can turn them on and off at the “flip of a switch.”
- Maintenance is much simpler and comes down to annual safety inspections and occasional wiping down of the fireplace components.
- Gas fireplaces are clean-burning and considered the most environmentally friendly.
- Gas fireplaces can run on natural gas or propane.
- The amount of heat produced by a gas fireplace is in your control.
- A chimney may not be required as venting can be channeled through a nearby wall or through the ceiling, depending on the model you choose.
Gas Fireplace Cons
Most conveniences have their downsides, and that’s the case with gas fireplaces. Gas fireplace cons include the following:
- Natural gas and propane are expensive heating fuels compared to firewood.
- The fire doesn’t have that natural snap, pop, or aroma.
Gas and Wood Fireplace Sales in Richmond VA & Surrounding Area
At Chimney Saver Solutions, our expert chimney technicians can help you choose between a gas vs wood fireplace. We can acquaint you with various top-brand models and make recommendations to help ensure maximum satisfaction with your new fireplace. Professional fireplace installation is among the skills that our CSIA-Certified chimney sweeps possess. As always, we offer chimney cleaning, chimney inspections, flue liner replacement, chimney masonry repair services, and much more. Contact us at Chimney Saver Solutions today using our handy contact form or schedule an appointment by calling 804-440-5000.